/

Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Sketchbook Stories Part Two

Welcome back to part two of Sketchbook Stories.
Today i have a fabulous interview with Artist Catherine Constance as well as a new sketchbook prompt.
But first here is a little video of me having a messy creative play with Mindy Lacefield's prompt.
Grab a cup of tea and cake and enjoy some more Sketchbook Stories.

Here is me painting away with words, using pen, paint, pencil and crayon.







I love the prompt, it was a great chance to let go and have fun, banishing the white pages of my sketch book into paint filled joy !

Pia Drent shared with us her response to Mindy's Prompt below


Isn't just wonderful ! I love what she has created here and so thrilled she has shared this with us all.
Thank You Pia Drent 


We now have a interview with artist Catherine Constance.

1.When did you sketchbook Story Begin ?
( how long have you used a sketchbook)



A.  Sketchbook and I started our adventure nearly five years ago when my life got whacked into the washing machine and set on maximum spin.  

2.How does your sketchbook help you in your creative process ?

A.  Sketchbook helps me keep everything in one place.  Ideas are sorted out amongst its pages and new ideas evolve.  It's my playground.  If I don't like a page I gesso over it and start again.  If I'm stuck for an idea I flick back through my old books in the hope of inspiration. The characters that jump onto the pages take on a life of their own and most of them are very chatty.



3.If you could fix a date with you and your sketchbook, where would you go ? 
and what would be your chosen inspiration ?

A.  Sketchbook and I are very rarely parted and can fix a date in seconds.  If we could magic ourselves away, I would choose a small deserted island somewhere warm.  Sketchbook likes tree houses high up in the mountains.  We are both rather partial to a boat in the middle of the ocean anywhere quiet and secluded would suit us.  Inspiration is all around us, we just have to look and listen.


4. What materials would you use ?

A. That's easy, sketchbook and I have a total love affair with watercolours, oh and glitter....we looooove glitter :)



5.Do you have sketchbook prompt that you would like to share ?
 ( ie. doodle with your eyes shut, or rubber stamp a sketchbook page )

A.  Sketchbook always says if I'm stuck, then just start with a circle and see who wants to come and play... :)



I adore Catherine illustrations, and adore the peek into the pages of her sketchbooks. I love how she see's her sketchbook as a playground !...so lets play some more and meet back here next week.
I will be having fun with Catherine's sketchbook prompt and will show you what i have come up with.

So do let me know how your enjoying Sketchbook Stories ?

Be great to have feedback on the interviews ?

What has your sketchbook been saying to you this week ?

If you have any pages you would like to share from the prompts then email me at
heidi.godwin@rocketmail.com

Next week we have a fabulous interview with Artist Micki Wilde / The Secret Hermit.

With Love

Heidi. M xxx






6 comments:

Jess said...

I love how her sketchbook is like having a cheerful friend with you all the time!I really enjoyed this thankyou. Now to sit back and enjoy watching your video! :)....
Jess xx

Pia Drent said...

Hi Heidi, the closeness between Catherine and her sketchbook is so inspiring, making mental note to put sketchbook in bag ALWAYS as i used to, even if odds at being able to open it are slim - and thanks of course for sharing my wild sketch! xxx

rainbowsplashes said...

Came here through Catherines link on her blog, she is one of my favourite illustrators, I love mindy's work as well. In fact I went and did a page in my journal using Catherines prompt this afternoon! If you are interested its at http://rainbowsplashes.wordpress.com.

Manon Visser said...

I keep meaning to come and play but have so far not managed it. I love what you have put together Heidi it is always wonderful to meet new people and see what they have in their sketch books. I tend to work on loose paper and keep my sketches together in all sorts of folders but I do however have a one really tiny journal that I take with me every where I go. It is really tattered but when I have no inspiration I go through it and I always find something. I have to go now but will be back :)
ManonX

nini said...

Hello Heidi
I was linked to your blog today and I must tell you that I really love this idea of yours. I think I'll try and catch up with you :)
I also really liked reading the interviews as seeing other people's art is always so inspiring. I hope you'll be doing this for longer ;)
Greetings from Slovenia!
nini

Sand said...

Like nini I only found your blog today, but am inspired to play! I adore this quote of Catherine's,
"Sketchbook and I started our adventure nearly five years ago when my life got whacked into the washing machine and set on maximum spin. "
because it sums up my experience too :) I shall try and catch up with the prompts so far and I'll be back...

/